A bat in my home!

Okay, so I should have never said "we will see what tomorrow brings..." I just thought that we would probably be having a funeral, which we did. His little bird passed away, so Dad buried it next to the citrus trees. Our day went fine after that, at least for a while.
Late in the afternoon Navy started barking and did not stop. We all know that if he doesn't stop barking when we ask him to that means he probably has cornered something.
Dad went outside and there it was a BAT. (No, not a baseball bat) A mammal bat - a little brown bat to be exact. Today was extremely windy and the tiny little bat must have been having a hard time flying or lost his hold in the tree above. So the tiny little thing was just laying there looking up at this huge dog barking at it. He was not hurt (so no worries there.)
Daddy called WC immediately and they were off catching this thing in one of my favorite food storage containers. I should have thought to myself (as I was cooking dinner) - what is all the commotion about, but I just kept cooking while trying to mind my own business.
The next thing that happened was not anything I would expect since they all know critters are not to come in the house. Guess what my oldest boy does (that would be my husband) HE BRINGS THE DARN THING INSIDE MY LIVING ROOM. Then you can all guess what happens the bat gets loose and starts flying and I start screaming. I did not know I would be so frightened by a little bat, but I was. Finally after a little bit of chaos - children running, a dog barking, me screaming and my husband laughing - he catches the darn thing back into the container and takes it outside.
WC and his Dad got online and went to the Bat Conservation International to find out what to do and how to handle the critter. After looking it over and showing some of the kids up at church they released the little critter back into the wild.
0 comments:
Post a Comment