Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Guy Named "Rodeo"


Hello. Every week I try to take each of the boys out separately just for a short time. Usually we go and run and errand or go get a small treat - just sometime for them to be able to be alone with mom. This is so we can talk with each other about everything and anything.
Well last night I needed to run to the store to get some very important items (milk, because CJ is going through it like it comes out of the tap, school lunch food, breakfast food and some other miscellaneous items that were not on the list but looked to tasty to pass up - I know I need to stick to that list!) and it was WC turn to go. I am thankful that he was willing to go to the store because usually they all look at me and say "the grocery store is so boring, I don't wanna go! Maybe another time mom."
We got into the truck and I said the wrong word -"are you buckled babe?" Usually immediately when I use this word with WC I realize it and correct it but he gave me no time. You see when WC finally started to talk he told me that he was not "my babe or baby" and that if I had to use a nickname when addressing him then it could be "bigger". So ever since that time I have referred to him as "bigger" in the place of "babe or baby". Funny I know but then you are talking about my sensitive but funny little man.
So last night after trying to apologize and saying "are you buckled bigger?" he looked at me through the rear view mirror and said "can I change my name when I get bigger?" I took a deep breath and thought I need to answer this the right way, not the way I really want to. You know how it is as a parent you spend months thinking of the perfect name, the one that would be great for this little person, one that not every other little person has, unique, easy to say, easy to holler down the block and so on - you get the idea. So I look back at him while we sat at a really long red light and said "yes when you get bigger you can go to court and change your name." He says "Good, can I pick 1000 names?" I reply very hesitantly with "yes, but that would take you a very long time to sign your name." He sits for a few minutes and it is quiet really quiet and I know those wheels are turning in his head and he pipes up "I've got it! My name will be Rodeo Wyatt Earp Bridge, but until I can change it mom you can call me Rodeo!" Well at this point I breath a sigh of relief and tell him that his nickname can be Rodeo from now on. We are almost to the grocery store and he says "mom, you know I don't really like that name, I mean it is ok but I think I have a name that would be much better for you..." again I think oh no what now is he going to come up with. I park the car and turn around and look into his beautiful blue eyes and he says "mom I think I will call you Cowgirl from now on." Well that is not bad and I try not to change any expression in my face and we go into the store as "Rodeo and Cowgirl". We had a wonderful time getting the food and I am sure that the people listening as they passed us by were wondering why this cute little man was calling his mom... Cowgirl.

1 comments:

Jen O Monday, September 8, 2008 at 11:36:00 AM CDT  

Oh, that is the best story ever! Y'all (like how I used that?) are Texans through and through!

About This Blog

  © 'This Is Awesome' Five Bridges Blog

Back to TOP