December ~ Tender Mercies
PEEKABOO!!!
Can it be a whole month has gone by and I have not posted anything. (Yes, as I hide under the desk.) So sorry. I have been sooooo busy and my computer was down for a while and then the guilt of not posting some amazing story or picture has made me procrastinate for some reason. I have several amazing stories and so many fabulous pictures (thank you Mom & Dad for the new camera) that I don't really know where to start.
Maybe I should try to sum it up for the most part...
(December has been a month of tender mercies and you might ask what I mean by this? I will define what I think tender mercies are : they are the very personal and individual blessings that the Lord gifts to us. They come in all forms: protection, assurances, guidance, loving kindness, support, strength, spiritual gifts and special people put into our lives at just the right moment.)
December was a fast month for all of us. The boys were in school and it seemed that there was always something that had to be done and fast. Then there were the parties and the friends who came over. Then there was church and all of my responsibilities there. Then there was husband and the fact that the company would be closing and him needing to find a job.
Finally, school was out and I thought things would slow down, but it didn't. I spent all my time running from place to place and having fun doing it, but never being home long enough to get anything done...until a few days ago. It seems that I have at least 10 loads of laundry to do.
One phrase I think I have said for the last two weeks is -- "we must clean up this house!" My poor children are tired of hearing this, but it seems as though we and the house were just passing in the night --literally. We would maybe come home long enough for the boys to pull stuff out and then it was bed time and then we were off again the next morning. So all we did at home was make a really big mess. Oh well, it can all be cleaned.
All through this hectic and stressful time we had a Secret Santa (tender mercy). So every night before the boys would go to bed we would hear a knock on the door and the boys would all run with the youngest one screaming the loudest "I open door!!" They would open the door and find a wonderful little surprise. This was so nice for my family and all that is going on right now.
The Secret Santa (who ever you are) taught my family about selfless generosity - they gave to us everyday for twelve days just to give. (the spirit of Christmas)
They taught us to believe - and this was really hard for some of us. One person in particular told me this year that he thought he was getting too old for Santa, that he had heard he wasn't real??!!! What, not real I would say... You can plainly see that I am in here with you along with your father.
This encouraged good behavior with the little ones; "what if I do something wrong will a present come tonight?" So we had a lot of good days in the behavior department.
And then there was the delayed gratification which is something we should all work on- living in this world of getting everything with a swipe of a card or the push of a finger.
Santa is real to all of us, he came and brought nice presents and treats, but he taught us so much more... believing is seeing, and seeing is believing. So Secret Santa (I hope you read this) thank you for bringing so much more into our home this season and teaching some of us how Real you really are. One more thing he taught me was it is ok to sometimes just say "Thank You" and that you don't always have to reciprocate. Thank you Santa, Thank you from my heart.
Another situation that really touched my heart and helps me keep my life in perspective was a conversation I had with Rodeo. (another tender mercy)
Me and the boys went to visit my fathers family for the weekend (just after school was out) and on the Saturday night we were there my Mom got a call from Genny's (my grandmother) caregivers. She had had a massive life altering STROKE - one which she would not recover and we knew she would die sometime the week of Christmas. My wonderful brother, Uncle K - the one who has driven something like 58,000 miles this year for his job was with us. I thank God, he was with us because my parents were in no shape to drive (at almost 11:00 pm) back home. (tender mercies) He does this sort of thing all the time.
Well the problem with this, (the part of him driving them home) was Rodeo was going to ride with him back to Austin. So the next morning Rodeo got up and immediately noticed he was gone and was upset that everyone had left. So I sat him down along with HJ and told them what had happened... "Genny had gotten very sick and had a stroke and would not recover, she would probably die this week." HJ was immediately sad and was thinking of his Christmas Bear that he was going to give her (another great story), I assured him that she would get it and then he was fine. But Rodeo sat there for a minute and then replied: "Mom, we don't need to be sad because that means Genny gets to go to the best party, the one in heaven, the one for Jesus!" I looked at him and said "what did you say?" He said, "I hope she makes it to the party in Heaven, because I think they must have the best parties and she will get to spend it with her family, friends and Jesus." I thought this was beautiful, he was not being selfish and he was thinking of her needs and what would be best for her all the while helping us to put this into perspective for ourselves. Sure we would miss her, but who would want to live that way and for so long. Another tender mercy.
Another story...
The last day of school HJ was in P.E. and his teachers told them that they would be picking names of six children who would get a Christmas Bear. The Christmas Bear was a bear that the child would give away to someone that they knew really needed it. It was to help show that giving was better that receiving and that they could really make a difference in another persons life. Well HJ was chosen from the hat (they had worked all semester at good deeds and would put their name on a piece of paper when they were recognized for doing something good or correct; like following directions, being nice to another person or helping out.)
So the assignment was if you won a bear (and even if you didn't, but wanted to participate) to give the bear to a person that really needed it and then find out how it might have helped them or made them feel. Immediately when I asked him who he thought he would give it to he said "Genny" without hesitation. I asked him why? He said "she loves stuffed animals and that is one thing I know she gets love from since she can't really remember us anymore. I think she will like it and it will make her happy. Most people would just say thank you if I gave it to them, but she will love it." I just stopped in my tracks--how thoughtful, how perceptive, Wow how sweet. Little did we know of the things that would unfold in the coming days.
We did not make it into town the next couple of days and I have to admit that I was a little worried that we would not get the bear to her, but MawMaw gave it to her Christmas morning and she laid there with her Christmas Bear and shortly after receiving the Christmas Bear she left for the party in Heaven. (another tender mercy)
During this holiday season we were able to receive so many wonderful thoughts, gifts and prayers and we truly were blessed from all of our dear family and friends both near and far. We are indeed grateful to everyone who has shone us kindness and compassion. I only know one way to say "THANK YOU" to all of the many people who have been our friends and all of those who have wanted to remain anonymous and that is to pay it forward. This is what we will do, because for the anonymous folks who might not ever feel our gratitude we will continue to pay it forward thinking of you and remembering the kindness given so freely to our family. Thank you, again.
Now on to a New Year! We look forward to 2009 and all that it will bring, but still remembering our blessings and what we have learned from the past.
0 comments:
Post a Comment