Happy Birthday Rodeo

Wow we have had SIX wonderful years with Rodeo! Some days it feels like that foggy, rainy day that we got up early to drive in traffic to get down to the Medical Center to have WC. We got pushed back for my scheduled c-section because unlike my children most of the babies in the world come when they are ready (so when there is an emergency they get to go before me, which is fine.) So we waited and enjoyed our large hospital room with my mom and HJ. Later that afternoon WC was brought into this world. He was beautiful, barely cried and I think a little shocked to be taken out so soon. He would not open his eyes at all the first day. We all waited in anticipation to see what they looked like and when he finally opened them they were like looking into the most perfectly clear amazing blue sky.
We have learned a lot about him since that day... he is very sensitive, but competitive, understanding, stubborn, thoughtful (unless he is angry and then there is no thinking involved), resourceful, strong, funny and so much fun to be with. He is in the middle, squished right between two of our biggest characters and sometimes I really hate that for him- but it usually does not seem to bother him- (that would be the understanding part of him.) He is beautiful and we all love looking into those baby blues.
This year we celebrated his birthday on four different days with family from both sides and we even had a cupcake party at school. He was a little perplexed about celebrating it on the days when it was not his actual birthday. I am not real sure where this came from, because I am thinking "who would not want to celebrated there birthday on more than one day?" Every time I asked he just said "it is not your real birthday, so I don't think you are supposed to do that - celebrate it on a different day?" We assured him it would be ok and that we could not get everyone together on his special day so we would spread it out. He was fine with the arrangements and decided he would just let everyone know the truth "It is not my birthday today, but you can sing to me anyways, I don't mind." By the second birthday song he was singing it to himself... "Happy Birthday to myself, Happy Birthday to myself..." It was really cute, we all got a good laugh out of that.
He wanted ice cream with candles on it when we celebrated it with us. But, I could not find the candles...I looked and looked so we decided to use matches and we knew they would light up quick so we sang "Happy Birthday to you Cha, Cha, Cha" in record time. He was happy! He made his wish and blew out all of the matches - quick, or he might have had a little fried ice cream instead.
He had a great birthday. He got all of his favorites - Lego's from everyone, a bug catcher contraption (which he has already put to good use), a new board game, and some money so he can go and pick something out! Thank you to everyone who helped make his sixth birthday a good one. (And to Uncle K who always sends something in the mail, thank you, it is such a huge big deal to the boys.)
I could not resist this picture. It is Rodeo, just hanging out and I caught him looking in my direction at a great moment. I love the milk mustache around his lips. - I could edit it out, but then you would miss the point of this just being who he is.. my wonderful, just turned six, crazy little cowboy. This is just him. This is what we will remember. I am so thankful for my camera and its ability to capture our life and it's moments so well and so clearly.
Happy, Happy Birthday Rodeo!
0 comments:
Post a Comment