Busy Weekend and a First

This past Saturday was Opening Day over at the ball park! This year WC is on the Marlins National League T-Ball Team. He has had many practices to get ready for the big day.
He had a great day and had lots of fun. He had a 'first' today! When you get to be six the 'firsts' just don't seem to happen as often and we can usually see one coming! -- Like the fact that he has his first loose tooth and it will be falling out soon.
But, that was not the case today. WC has always done a great job at paying attention while playing baseball, never had any problem with playing in the dirt or maybe picking flowers until today.
He was playing in left field and was doing a great job. We were in the fourth inning and a ball was hit straight to him in left field. When he reached down to grab it, his eye must have wondered just ever so slightly just past the ball to the beautiful yellow flower. Actually, a lovely little yellow weed, that has been given to me by all of my boys ever since they could reach down and grab one. If you live in Texas - you know the one I am talking about, the kind you don't particularly want growing in your yard. At that moment he lost all train of thought and forgot he was playing baseball and reached down to pick the yellow weed up to give it to me. I know you are thinking I have them trained well on the flower thing, but I didn't do it, they were just born ready to pick flowers. I have always wondered were this habit came from and I still have not figured it out, but I take them happily every time. Then it was like his brain clicked back to the game in that split second decision and he dropped the flower to throw the ball home to get the out. You could tell by his little expressions on his face that he was torn about dropping the flower, but he did it anyway - all for the game of baseball. Everyone was yelling including me and MawMaw "Throw the ball home!!!" and he did. The whole flower distraction only took about a second, maybe two, it was a good laugh felt by all.
After the game I asked WC what had happened and he said he wasn't sure except for he saw the flower and wanted me to have it and then remembered he had a job to do. He laughed and thought it was funny and said "the reason I dropped it was because I couldn't hold the flower and throw the ball at the same time or I would still have the flower to give you."
He had a good game, hit the ball hard, threw it to the right places and had a really good time playing. And that is what it is all about.
Here he is hitting the ball. He is swinging good and hitting the ball hard. The coach keeps setting him up to hit the ball to the pitcher or first baseman and if you are playing a good team and you do this - they will get you out every time. So we will work on hitting it some other place in the future or hopefully the coach won't set him up to hit the ball in that direction every time.
He ran fast and it was a close call but they called him out! He seems to handle getting called out ok right now... we will see how this changes in the future.
0 comments:
Post a Comment