Huge Rhinoceros Beetle
Once again Navy Bean found a critter and alerted us all to it. We were all inside working hard on homework and chores and we hear his low constant, but short bellowing bark... the one letting us know that he had caught something. He probably barked for a few minutes before it finally clicked for me that he was barking and saying... " ROOF, ROOF which meant: I found and caught something yall get out here and help with this huge beetle." I immediately alerted WC and CJ and told them to get their gear because it sounds like Navy has something cornered. We all ran outside and found Navy barking at the ground with his nose squished to something... It was this huge beetle called a Rhinoceros Beetle (Strategus aloeus (Linnaeus, 1758) Family Scarabaeidae, Subfamily Dynastinae, Tribe Oryctini.) Immediatly WC was excited because they are learning about insects right now and they had just talked about the Rhinoceros Beetle and how hard they are to find. Why there was one in our backyard I don't know, but we quickly scooped it up and put it in our critter container and took it inside for better inspection. All of the boys enjoyed looking at this huge beetle. HJ didn't believe us when we told him how big it was until he saw it. We giggled as he stared at it in amazement because his eyes nearly fell out of his head, I think he thought it was probably just a huge June bug. I think he will be a little more interested in the critters for a while.
WC is going to attempt to take the beetle to school tomorrow... We will see how that flies with his teacher.
0 comments:
Post a Comment