Sunday, November 16, 2008

Rules, Rules, Rules




Rules, rules, rules!!! That is what I hear coming out of the mouths of my children. "Mom, you have rules for everything! Rules for this, rules for that, rules for inside, rules for outside!"
My poor children have to follow rules? Yes....
This has been a huge topic of conversation and deep discussion lately, not that we don't talk about rules everyday, but my lovely little people have decided that it would be fun to challenge these rules. They make it sound as though there is a whole gamut and that they can't have any fun. I beg to differ, I think that if they follow a few simple rules then our little world would be a much more diplomatic and happier place. Which would in turn mean that they would not have to hear their wonderful mother beg and plead with them to follow directions.
Shortly after having HJ, I realized that the word "NO, and don't" began to be a huge part of the words that I was using everyday (and some days it sounded like those were the only words I was using). It felt so negative and I just got tired of using them - I knew that the reason behind those words was to help and mostly protect him, but I decided to try to rephrase how I wanted things to be said. Mostly I just redirect the little guys and ask them questions like "is that a good Idea???", or how does that fit into one of our rules?

Rules:
1. Respect: be kind and treat others and others property in the same way you would want to be treated.
2. Listen and follow directions.
3. Chores: just do them so we can get on with the fun stuff (it helps our little world go-round).

Anyway these are our basic rules. Not too much to ask, not negative and they cover everything!
Now you ask - what is that a picture of and why are you posting that?
This would be CJ's head. Poor little guy has two staples and one heck of a bruised ear.
We were having a great day. We went over to one of our friends homes for some great light saber fighting, hot dogs and fajitas- just good clean fun. The evening was eventful, which got all of that testosterone running and I thought the car ride home would calm them down- HA.
I got home with the boys, while lovely husband went out with the guys to watch a fight, remember testosterone is running high with all of them tonight (he needs time with his friends too.) I put them in the bath and I turned around for a second to get their pj's ready on the bed and all of the water was exploding out of the tub, hitting the ceiling, the walls and finally the floor! I had had enough and said they were done - "everybody out!, brush teeth, say prayers, and go to bed, because I was worn out." We got through all of this routine fairly quickly and without any more incident.
They were all in bed (little did I know they were all in the same twin bed, which was the first problem.) Rodeo was the first to come out and tell me things were getting crazy and he was so tired (sure, he just knew trouble was coming and that would be me!) I went in and told them to knock it off go to bed and no more wrestling.
Did they listen - NO.
I heard a loud thud and then a scream. I thought to myself please tell me there is no blood because I don't want to go to the ER by myself with three little boys tonight. Why did I think this? WHY? CJ came running out with blood pouring out of the back of his head and the other two with huge eyes following right behind. "Sorry mom, sorry mom." I told them "tell CJ your sorry, now do you understand why I ask you to listen even when you don't want to or you think I am just repeating myself to hear myself talk?"
I told the two older boys to get ready we would be going to the ER. Oh how I dread the ER, not that I am not thankful to have one or that the doctors aren't nice...it is just the wait and with three little boys - oh.
HJ was like a robot finally going into motion, he did everything right! (I was so proud of him.) He got Rodeo ready, helped pack an ER bag with all of the necessities for a long night and helped with CJ.
We got into the car after I got his head to somewhat stop bleeding and arrived at an empty ER. Finally, I got a hold of Daddy to let him know where we were and they called us right in. The two older ones just did everything I asked and were so helpful. CJ was one mad little critter, he hates the ER (he has been our most frequent user of the ER and he is the youngest, how is that fair? - remember life is not fair.) The doctor came right in and said he would just staple it and send us on our way (ya right I thought, it has never been that easy in the past.) It was that easy - one hour later and we were gone. All the boys home in bed before daddy came home from his fun with the boys.
So that was just part of the fun from last week, maybe this will be a good reminder for a while of why we need to follow directions. We will see.

2 comments:

Rosalina Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 7:08:00 PM CST  

Well it sounds like you are pretty unreasonable, and I have seen you crack the whip a time or two. And poor CJ. Someday he'll be big enough that he can defend him self and not be the one to get hurt all the time, and hopefully not hurting anyone else either.

Jen O Monday, November 24, 2008 at 1:17:00 PM CST  

I'm sure those days are coming for us. Once siblings arrive for Seth, they'll all get into trouble together.

About This Blog

  © 'This Is Awesome' Five Bridges Blog

Back to TOP